KanLib Continuing Education Delivery Methods TF

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Course Management Systems

This is Joan Hughes' information on Course Management Systems (CMS) that was inadvertently posted as a comment to the Online Learning Communities post.

Online Course Management Software.

This has been a difficult research project for me. I got online to both websites for Blackboard and WebCt and really didn't understand their technical language. I called the WebCt support line and they were going to e-mail me some information which I haven't received as yet. Prices they told me varied according to the product that was purchased.

I couldn't find any piece of information that told me what was needed for either the person taking a course or the presenter. Of course you do need an online connection.

I did speak to a former co-worker who has used both and she liked WebCt better because e-mails were limited to the system and not sent to general e-mails like they were on Blackboard. My own experience with WebCt was limited to one class with Butler Community College. I understood what I was supposed to do and it was easy to use and was forgiving if you made a mistake.

I know that Blackboard is used at KU and ESU and WebCt at Butler County Community College. If necessary we might want to talk with their computer/technical people and find out more. Since this can be edited by anyone on the committee, please feel free to do so.
Joan Hughes

By joan hughes, at 3:13 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home